Thursday, December 4, 2014

You are so ignorant. Thanks, Mom.

I am going to rant a bit and you can opt out of reading.  You have been warned...

I have established I am a Christian, I attend church, and I find it important in my life.  I went to a Christian college and I feel I am educated.  I grew up in Nevada and was exposed to many different lifestyles and beliefs.  I do not feel these lifestyles or beliefs changed my faith or relationship with Christ.  I learned about the theory of evolution throughout school, including the Christian college I attended.  Is it what I believe, no, but I do not think others need to believe in the theory of creation to be educated about it.  I have a strong belief in being educated about the world around you.  I believe I am a better person for knowing about other theories and beliefs.

I also took a class in college about Eastern religions.  It was only one class and I am sure I only learned a very small amount, but I loved learning what others believe and why they believe it.  Also, other religions have a direct impact on my religion and I what to know why and what those impacts are.  Plus, why are so many different religious sects fighting over land consisting of dirt and rocks in the Middle East?  Have you seen the Middle East?  I want to know more about the bloody past of Christianity.  I know a bit but there is more to learn.  In my job I work with many different people with many different faiths.  I had to train a direct care staff in the early morning one time and I knew she was Muslim.  Because I have been educated in this religion, I knew the breakfast sandwich I was going to bring her couldn't have pork in it.  My knowledge helped me to make the training experience more enjoyable.  She didn't have to explain why she couldn't eat the sandwich and we didn't have to veer from our objective. "Here, I brought you breakfast to thank you for filling in so early in the morning.  Let's get started."

I have encountered many people who are so angry about an Islamic church moving in down the street from where I live.  I have heard they are terrorists and are here to make a plan to bring down America.  Really?  Another person stated he needs to take the fighter jet he pilots and bomb them while they were at church.  Wow.  These type of statements are not beliefs I want to be exposed to because they break my heart.  I do not feel more educated, I feel pain.  Why is there so much hate in these people?

Did you know many people in the Christian church do not believe women should be pastors?  As if having breasts and a vagina makes someone unable to be called to ministry and preach the word of God.  I do not have a limit on the God I know and He is able to use all beings for his purpose.

I would like people to look at others with love.  Let's learn about how others think and believe.  I know why I believe what I believe and it isn't because someone told me to believe it.  I know what is out there to believe in and I have chosen my belief system.  Yes, they may not be what you believe, but that is okay.  Do I believe in evolution?  No, but it is fascinating to hear why you do.  Do you believe in the Holy Spirit?  No, will you let me tell you why I do?  Take me out for coffee and I will talk your ear off about whatever comes up.  I love getting to know people and why they tick the way they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment