Thursday, November 27, 2014

Those poor turkeys!

Thanksgiving, when I was growing up, wasn't the best time.  My parents would be around long enough to eat turkey and after would head to the bar.  We never said what we were thankful for or had family come into town.  I would watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and play outside.  That was it!  It wasn't anything special.

In college, I had music performances over Thanksgiving break so I stayed on campus during break.  Many of my friends were very unhappy about having to miss Thanksgiving with their families.  I didn't understand what the big deal was.  Couldn't they just eat dinner with family next weekend?  A couple Thanksgivings, I was invited to the house of a friend.  They would have so many people over, it was a chaotic day.  I enjoyed being at someone's home, but I did feel a little out of place.  I wasn't sure what was expected of me so I just ate and helped clean after the meal.

As an adult with The Daughter, I would go to a friend's house for a couple of years.  My parents moved near me and I would have Thanksgiving dinner with them,  When My Dark Knight's mother moved to town, we would have dinner over at her house.  Some years we would travel to MDK's childhood town and have Thanksgiving with his family.  

This year, we are having Thanksgiving at home, just us, no visitors or extended family.  It is nice.  I am able to wear whatever I want and everything is gluten free and I don't have to worry about getting sick.  I can have leftovers too!  If I become sad because all the holidays are making me sad this year, I can cry in my home.  MDK can watch his Bears play football without any interruptions.  We can have autism meltdowns at home.  The Daughter can listen to her music, her loud, screaming music.  These are the things I am very thankful for!  I am very lucky to have a home filled with crazy love.  We are not traditional but we are wonderful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment