Thursday, July 2, 2015

Why do I feel like the old lady and why should it matter?

I applied for my master's degree in social work earlier this year.  I completed the application process (application, wrote a paper, etc.) and received a call for an interview.  I went to the interview, which consisted of a couple group interviews and a few individual interviews.  During the group interviews, I noticed one other person, besides myself, graduated a couple decades ago with an undergrad.  We had both graduate 16 years ago, actually (not 2 decades, but close), from the same college with the same degree.  It was nice to see an acquaintance and fellow elderly applicant.  She and I had been working in social work since graduating and had a bunch of kids.

I was feeling pretty knowledgeable and was very impressed with myself and fellow old lady.  Slowly, my impressive self started to be less impressive.  A fellow alumni, who I adore and is wonderful, is now the director of the master's program.  Why don't I have a Ph.D?  We graduated with the same undergrad the same year, shouldn't I be just as successful?  I had decided to have a family instead, which is awesome, but I felt a little silly being among all these young whipper-snappers with the same education level as me, but significantly younger than me.  I should have accomplished more in my career.

I noticed the answers the recent undergrads gave were pretty naive, but were similar to the same answers I gave when I was in their shoes.  Due to the experience I have, I know what I enjoy regarding social work and what I do not enjoy.  I do not like working with children and I am terrible at counseling.  I know my strengths and weaknesses.  I felt strong in this part of the interview process.

We had an opportunity to ask questions of the current MSW students.  I was curious about the length of time between their undergrad and starting their graduate degree.  I was also curious if they were completing school while working full-time and raising children.  The longest length of time was five years and she worked full-time but her practicum (internship) was in the same company.  I was starting to feel a bit concerned.   I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

Let's jump ahead to today.  I have already been accepted, I received my financial aid packet.  I am starting to get information.  I received an email stating I need to take a writing lab during the summer for a week.  Something about being old, or under-educated, or really old...   In the email, a statement was made that had me giggling in a nervous/terrified way.  "...send in your senior paper from your undergrad..."  That statement made me feel as if I needed to break out a walker to get around.  Can someone hand me my orthopedic shoes?  First, sixteen years ago, I wrote completely different than I do now.  Secondly, I am pretty sure I do not have my senior paper from 16+ years ago.  Thirdly, did we have to write a senior paper?

I have to learn how to use some sort of program or something regarding school.  Apparently we communicate differently than we did 16 years ago or everything is paperless?  I don't understand, but I will be figuring it out soon!  Were did I put my bifocals?

This is the start to something scary and exciting.  I should make it out alive, I think.








3 comments:

  1. I don't remember writing a senior paper . . . I would be terrified to go back. I've had several people lately tell me I should, but wow! how would I do it?? Good for you Tara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little scary. I am just hoping it all works out! My man may be a bit more nervous about how this will work out. :)

      Cathy, you should go back. You should move back to Idaho first.

      Delete
    2. I think the closest Chris would let me move back to Idaho would be eastern WA. He wasn't fond of Nampa, or Idaho. :-(

      Delete