Monday, October 6, 2014

The first person I fell, head-over-heels, in love with.

My daughter!  I have to give a bit of a back story regarding The Daughter to understand why she helped me, Become Me, this year. (Please note this post is very difficult for me to write.)

1985:  This is the year my last sibling left the house, leaving me to be an "only" child.  I was 8 years old.  My siblings are much older than I am and they took care of my needs every day.  My parents were alcoholics, I still love them, but they were either working or at the bar.  I had to learn to take care of myself quickly.  I did not have any idea what it looked like to be raised by parents.

Jump to 1999:  This is the year I gave birth to The Daughter.  I fell in love the second she was born.  I was young, single, and unprepared to be a mother.  I believed that since I raised myself, I could raise a child of my own.  Apparently, having a good role-model in your parents, assists in being a good parent yourself.  I believe I do a pretty good job, but I really struggle being an ideal parent.  I am unconventional.

2014:  I was in a meeting for work and muted my phone.  After my meeting that went long because I am too chatty, I checked my phone and I had 6 missed calls and voice mails from the high school, 2 texts from The Daughter's older half-brother, and 2 missed calls from an unknown number.  Strange, I am usually not this popular.  I checked the voice mails and the texts and they stated I needed to call the high school.  As I was calling the high school, I just decided to drive to the school at the same time.

The Daughter was going to kill herself and had a plan she was going to follow through with after school that day.  She texted her older half-brother something that concerned him and he immediately went to his school counselor who called The Daughter's school, and so on.  She had been cutting, a lot.  She was struggling with life.  I was clueless, no, ignorant.  I thought she was a grumpy teenager.  She was athletic, on varsity sports as a freshman.  I was pretty sure her life couldn't get much better as a freshman in high school.  PLUS, I am a social worker!  The signs of suicide go with the job and I could't see them in my own child.

I failed as a parent, not because she was depressed, but because I didn't even notice.  I wasn't available to answer the phone when the school called because I was too busy talking about nothing important.  What a selfish human being I have become.

After I got her stabilized and an appropriate plan in place, I re-evaluated me as a parent.  I started working on not being chatty when I was working.  I decided if I wanted to shoot the breeze, I could go out for coffee or whatever outside of work.  Work time was to focus on the people I assist.  I looked at all the times I was being selfish as a parent.  I am not in survival mode anymore like I needed to be in the 80's.  I don't need to think of myself first anymore, but I have chosen to.  I consciously think how to put others first, specifically my family.

My Sexy Man is the most giving and unselfish person I have ever met.  I assume Mother Theresa was very giving and unselfish but I never met her.  I am lucky to have someone who stands by me every day in spite of my selfishness.  Being my better half has got to be trying.  Bonus:  He is a great example of how to be a better parent!  I have been trying to be more like him this year.

This was step two at Becoming Me.




No comments:

Post a Comment