Sunday, November 8, 2015

Where did I fail?

I am successfully navigating grad school and work and driving X-man to all his therapies and going to Bunco once a month. I am working my butt off to be a successful social worker. I am going above what is asked of me in my classes. I am trying to show my kiddos it can be done and it can be done well. I want them to know I am going to have more opportunities when this is all over and we just need to hang on for this ride. I know I will be able to provide opportunities for my kids with a master's level social work job. I might even be able to provide a few dollars in the savings account instead of living paycheck to paycheck. I might be able to have two kids in taekwondo instead of just one because it is so expensive. I am unable to make my house sparkle. I am unable to attend everything my kids are involved in. I attended one cross-country meet for The Daughter because the rest of the meets were during my classes. I think I am doing a great thing by my family and they appreciate the sacrifices I have had to make to have a better future. Okay, maybe appreciate is more than I expect, let's go with understand.

The Daughter has been mean and condescending towards me for a couple of months. It started when I started school, but I am unaware of why there has been a change. Yes, she is 16 years old and is supposed to be bratty, but this is different. I have tried changing my tone. I have tried lessening her load of responsibilities at home because she has been stressed. I try asking her to do things with me. I sat down with her this morning. I asked her if we could talk about this issue and she said no. I asked her if this is something she is willing to work on, she said she doesn't think so. I asked her is she thought our relationship could be fixed, she said no. No. She said no. I had to leave the room before I started to cry.

I did what I always do when I am emotionally weathered, I started blasting music, loud, angry music. (In my headphones, of course, because the kiddos don't need to hear my angry music. Lots of swear words in angry music.) And I started writing. If someone would pay me to pick the perfect angry music and read my emotional writings, I could be a wealthy woman.

I am now trying to figure out where I failed as a parent. I am not a touchy-feely-huggy person. I am not afraid of confrontation. I parent strangely because I had little to no parental examples. The kids are alive and I can rock finding resources for assisting the kids, but I can't just be a parent. I am unsure how this happened. I am not sure if I am fixable because I am not sure what is broken.

So, now I have a daughter who made it clear this morning that we will not have a relationship. I am hurt, sad, angry, confused... If I had known I was just going to be an egg donor, I would have done this parenting thing less often. I would have chosen not to have any children if I had know this is what was going to happen. (That is the angry side showing) Why wouldn't she even want to try? (hurt is talking now) I am a failure. (sadness has arrived) I don't even know what is going on. (confused)

I guess this is another chapter in my life with a depressingly, degrading title, Where did I fail?


2 comments:

  1. Tara, I have memories of the same conversation with my son. Im really sorry you're in this place. I don't understand why our self-willed children cannot allow us a soft place to fall when they break our hearts. I will not be able to help you feel better about the dark cold proverbial blade in your chest, but I can understand where you are and I can pray for you. When a teenager says hateful things to you and they even mean it at the moment, it doesn't mean that they will not change their mind in time. I'm praying for you and for your track star.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara,
    I am so sorry you and your daughter are in this pain. I know your relationship with your parents was different than yours with your kids, and I think you rock! But I can tell you this is about her. My mom was the loving, involved mom who dared to have a divorce and remarry when I was 15. I m pretty wonderful as a person and a counselor but I HATED my relationship with my mom back then. I moved out to a friends! And then...when I licked my wounds and was humbled by my self-centeredness and she still tried to reach me, I came back. It took 9 months for me. My mom dared to pursue something without me and my siblings being the center of her universe. She was growing AND I was growing in different ways. But I can assure you even though I joined the AF we are closer now than ever before. I struggled with depression and was in my own head and that wasn't her fault. At the same time, you can require courtesy, respect and her helping you out, even if she is stressed. See what she's willing to offer, dinner, laundry maybe? But please don't take this personally that this moment means your failing ALL the time. If anything this just goes to show how much you love and miss her. I bet she misses you too. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete