Tuesday, September 1, 2015

No offense, but...

I started my graduate program last week.  I have been very nervous about starting this program.  I have many obstacles to juggle to succeed.  I have to get up enough nerve to walk into class without second guessing myself.

My Friday night class is advanced field prep.  One of the items we are discussing in this class is vulnerability.  I can say I feel vulnerable going back to school.  I am also going through the graduate program quicker than the foundation program.  The Friday night class is full of students who started the program last year.

We had to introduce our self last week.  After we all had completed our introductions, one lady looked at me and began her statement, "No offense, but..."  If someone starts a statement this way, I am pretty sure I am going to be offended.  "No offense, but we have all been together in this program, and you are not going to fit in.  We are like a family.  It feels weird having you in this class."  Awesome!  Thanks for that statement!  My trust level plummeted after that statement.  I will not be able to trust the people in the class and will make sure to keep my mouth shut at all times.  I have put up my walls, and they are not likely to come down.

I believe it would have been a better idea to state, "We have been in this program together since last year and have become close.  I am excited to know you better."  I am a great person.  I think I am easy to like.  (Some out there will disagree)

I am going to finish my homework for Friday's class today.  I am going to go through the motions of class on Friday with a smile.  I am going to fake it until I make it.

4 comments:

  1. That was a shitty thing to say. Can I smack her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is what I thought. I really did not feel welcomed. :) You may smack whomever you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give me her name so I can offend her! What a jerk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it bad that I have forgotten her name? I am terrible with names. :)

      Delete